Friday, January 14, 2011

15/365

Bokeh is tonight's technique. Not just your everyday bokeh today we have special bokeh.

I decided to give this fun trick a try. I've seen it blogged a bit and some tutorials and decided - it's time! DIY photography is a site I go to a lot, and is where I learned how to make my own lens hood to create shaped bokeh.

And cause I knew exactly what I wanted to attempt, I cut mine out in honor of my son... Okay, so maybe I didn't pick the right subject for a low light shoot tonight, but I got a couple. Mind you, with peanut butter and scratches on his face. He's still cute. Especially when I get one where his face is in focus.

As our photographer friend said as she was trying to coax him into our holiday photos, I've "got a photographer's son." He doesn't like slow down one second when I want him to let me take his photo! but that's good practice for me. Tonight I told him if he let me take 20 pictures of him, we'd watch a movie. What was awesome was he said, no, you have to take 100. I think I got to almost 50 to get this one shot. Good thing we made a deal for 100!


It kind of helps when you put the cover on the right direction!


I will practice shaped bokeh more another day. I had a hard time with auto focus and manual was tough because you needed to move the cover to focus. With a moving subject, the time to do that was way too long. I think I need to make a bigger area so the lens will focus easier, I am not certain.

I'll do some more research and try, try, try again. Maybe another 100 or so images and I'll get it right?!

No comments:

Post a Comment